Here’s an easy recipe to make homemade treats for your cat or dog, compliments of Hill’s Pet Nutrition.
USING CANNED FOOD:
- Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.
- Cut the loaf into ¼ inch thick slices and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.
- Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2.5-3 minutes.
- For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an un-greased cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
USING DRY FOOD:
- In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.
- Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1 ¼ cups of water stirring until it forms a dough consistency.
- Shape into a “treat” or “cookie” and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard “people cookies” do).
- Place treats on an un-greased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
- Oregano powder can be sprinkled over the treats after baking to enhance the flavor (do not add to the Prescription Diet Z/D homemade treats).
Yields about two dozen treats. Have fun – use cookie cutters!
Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
Homemade treats should not exceed 10% for your pet’s total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.