Atopic dermatitis clinical study (dogs).
BluePearl Specialty and Emergency Pet Hospital is currently seeking golden retrievers, labrador retrievers and west highland white terriers who have chronic skin issues or diagnosed canine atopic dermatitis to participate in a clinical study in partnership with Waltham Petcare Science Institute, Wisdom Health and VCA. The purpose of this study to understand the underlying causes of atopic dermatitis in dogs to improve diagnosis and treatment of this disorder. The study duration will be one visit.
- Age range: 2-8 years
- Current body weight: between 3-70 kg
- Current BCS: 3-7 of 9
- Golden retrievers, labrador retrievers and west highland white terriers
- No restriction on gender or neuter status
- Antibiotics, probiotics, immunosuppressant or anti-inflammatory drugs within previous 6 weeks
- Apoquel in preceding 72 hours
- Skin or joint health supplements
- Topicals (including shampoo, medicated or otherwise) within previous 24 hours
- Therapeutic dewormers and Panacur within previous 4 weeks
- Raw diet
- Diarrhea or poor feces quality in previous 24 hours
Locations and contacts:
This study is fully funded by Mars Petcare. Patients will be required to attend a single appointment where all study samples and clinical information will be collected. Enrolled dogs will undergo a full dermatology exam to ensure they are fit to take part in the study and to understand the extent of their clinical signs. Biological samples, including blood, skin swabs and feces, will be collected for each participant. Additionally, a complete blood count, biochemistry panel and thyroid test will be conducted free of charge to the client.