Veterinary ophthalmology services in Birmingham, AL.
Veterinary Eye Care is a referral ophthalmology practice that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases in animals of all species.
We diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions that affect the eye, including:
- Corneal ulcers
- Dry eye
- Prolapsed third eyelid gland (“cherry eye”)
- Eyelid and eyelash disorders
- Sudden blindness
- Congenital ocular anomalies
- Infectious diseases
- Inflammatory conditions of the eye
- Systemic diseases that involve the eye
- Neuro-ophthalmic disorders
- Retinal and optic nerve diseases
Services and Procedures
Specialized Ophthalmic Diagnostics
- Slit lamp biomicroscopy
- Indirect ophthalmoscopy
- Ocular ultrasound
Surgical Treatments and Ophthalmic Procedures
- Cataract surgery by phacoemulsification with lens implant
- Eyelid surgery: tumor removal, entropion repair, eyelid agenesis repair, cryosurgery
- Ophthalmic laser procedures
- Lens luxation and lens removal
- Corneal grafting surgery
- Prolapsed third eyelid gland replacement, “cherry eye” repair
- Orbital and intraocular prosthesis
- Glaucoma surgery
Interested in learning more about cataract surgery for pets? Read this article for more information.
Genetic Screening Eye Exams
Purebred dogs can be screened for genetic eye disease by a board certified ophthalmologist. Registration and certification is available through CAER (Companion Animal Eye Registry).
We respect the close bond you share with your pet. We treat each pet we see as if they are our own – with compassion, kindness and love. From initial diagnosis to ongoing treatment, we provide a personalized experience that focuses on your pet’s specific medical needs. We work closely with your pet’s primary veterinarian to understand your pet’s medical history and create a plan that focuses on your pet’s lifelong health and happiness.