USA Today: X-ray shows spoon Gilbert puppy swallowed

Click here to read the original report.

A Gilbert family’s pet dog, Tank, swallowed a metal spoon while he was eating mashed potatoes.

The 8-month-old puppy was rushed to the Emergency Animal Clinic, a BluePearl Veterinary Hospital, where veterinarians determined he did not need surgery to remove the silverware.

The family was instead referred to Desert Veterinary Medical Specialists where they removed the spoon by endoscopy. Tank is now recovering well.

Foreign body ingestion is very common for dogs and is the second most common claim among dog owners for pet insurance providers.

Here are some tips on how to keep your furry loved ones safe from wallowing potentially deadly objects (from Katherine Smith, DVM, DACVECC, a board certified emergency and critical care specialist at Emergency Animal Clinic in Gilbert):

Regularly monitor and pet-proof your home: anything they can get their paws on is considered a potential hazard.

Pay close attention to any changes in your pet’s appetite or behavior: they may experience depression, vomiting, diarrhea, or show signs of not eating or drinking.

When in doubt, take your pet to the veterinarian: it can take anywhere from 10 to 12 hours for something to pass through a pet’s digestive track.