WILLOWBROOK, Texas – A 1-year-old dog ate 10 hearing aid batteries and could have suffered a burning shock in his throat.
But instead a veterinarian from North Houston Veterinary Specialists (NHVS), which is affiliated with BluePearl Veterinary Partners, surgically removed the hearing aid batteries, making sure their positive and negative poles did not produce burns inside the 7-pound dog named Boogie.
Boogie is a Yorkipoo, or Yorkshire terrier-poodle mix. His owner, Cathy Barnard, describes him as “a bundle of energy and love.” But the inquisitive dog does have a habit of chewing on things he shouldn’t. He made a previous trip to NHVS after devouring too much candied popcorn.
The batteries presented a different challenge. Boogie had gotten into some packets of the batteries last Thursday, eating right through the packaging. After Barnard and her husband, Jim, saw what Boogie was doing, they counted 10 missing batteries and rushed him to the NHVS hospital in Willowbrook. The batteries showed up clearly on X-rays.
Sometimes veterinarians induce vomiting in animals to remove objects they have swallowed. But at NHVS, Dr. Carissa Blair concluded that vomiting would have put Boogie in too much danger. The batteries could have left burns inside Boogie if their positive and negative poles had touched the skin of his esophagus at the same time while coming back up.
Another concern in cases like this is the fact that stomach fluids can actually break down the batteries, causing them to release harmful acids, said Dr. Natalie Windell, another NHVS veterinarian.
After Blair consulted with the Barnards, she surgically removed the batteries from Boogie’s stomach. He went back home on Sunday and is how resting comfortably.
“I can’t say enough great things about the veterinarians and staff, because Boogie is doing great now,” Barnard said.