WALTHAM, Mass. — Jake, a 5-year-old pointer mix, has a lot to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.
The energetic pooch is on the mend after undergoing emergency surgery at BluePearl Veterinary Partners hospital in Waltham Thursday to remove a four-inch stick from his chest.
The accident happened while Jake was on a hike in Cat Rock Park with his owner, Christine Newton, and her 4-year-old daughter, Thea. Jake ran ahead and didn’t immediately return when Newton called to him.
“That’s when I knew something was wrong,” Newton said. “Then, when he did come back, I saw the hole in his chest.”
While there wasn’t much blood, Newton said she could tell there was something stuck in Jake’s chest when she lifted him to put him in the car to take him to BluePearl.
“Fortunately, the stick missed all of the major organs,” said Dr. Kristina DePaula, a board-certified specialist in critical care with BluePearl. “The surgery went very well and Jake was able to go home on Thursday night.”
DePaula said it’s not uncommon for dogs to become injured by sticks, and added that Jake’s situation is a good reminder for all owners to be cautious when taking pets into wooded areas. Sticks are sharp and dirty, and can cause deep tissue injury and infection.
Newton said Jake is doing remarkably well given his injury. She said the hardest part for him will be the two weeks of enforced recovery time.
“This is a dog who needs to run,” she said. “He’s going to be a wild man when he finally gets to go outside and play again.”
Newton said it’s especially nice to have Jake home with the Thanksgiving holiday coming up next week. Thea, Newton’s daughter, was particularly relieved that her furry friend was going to be okay.
“He’s such a sweet dog. He loves children and gets along well with other dogs,” Newton said. “He’s a part of our family.”