WALTHAM, Mass. – A dog who was reportedly hit by a snow plow Sunday night is scheduled to undergo surgery at BluePearl Veterinary Partners specialty and emergency hospital for pets in Waltham on Tuesday.
The 3-year-old mixed-breed dog named Vixen suffered a broken right hind leg and a collapsed lung in the accident, which her owner John Cavallo said was a hit-and-run.
Vixen was accompanying Cavallo as he picked up a pizza Sunday evening around 6:30 p.m. As he was getting out of his car, Vixen bolted across the street and was struck by a dark blue pickup truck with a snow plow attachment.
Dr. Caleb Murphy, an emergency veterinarian with BluePearl, said the surgery to repair Vixen’s leg is scheduled for Tuesday, but could be moved back later as she still needs time to rest and recuperate from the traumatic event.
“Fortunately, Mr. Cavallo acted quickly and was able to get Vixen the emergency care she needed,” said Murphy. “With the record-breaking amount of snow we are receiving, it’s important that owners keep a close eye on their pets.”
Cavallo, a retired grandfather of six, said Vixen is loved by everyone in his Waltham neighborhood. Her favorite activities include sitting in her recliner and snuggling with Cavallo’s grandchildren.
Frankie’s Friends charitable pet foundation has set up a Go Fund Me page to help assist Cavallo, who is unable to pay the full cost of Vixen’s surgery, estimated to be up to $5,500. Anyone interested in donating funds toward Vixen’s surgery should click here.
Frankie’s Friends charitable pet foundation is a non-profit that helps pay for life-saving emergency and specialty veterinary care for pets whose families would otherwise be unable to afford the cost of care.
Doctors from BluePearl recommend the following safety tips during the winter season and winter storms:
- Ice on roadways can clearly cause automobile accidents. Pets are often left unsecured in vehicles. This can cause serious injury or death. Please limit the time your pet is in an automobile to the absolute minimum.
- Ice on walkways and compressed snow can become very slippery. Dogs or cats could potentially injure themselves by slipping. Always make sure that if your pet has experienced an injury that you have him examined by a veterinarian.
- Deicers can be toxic to pets. Check with your veterinarian and local pet store to see which deicers are non-toxic to animals.
- Similar to when it is hot outside, never leave your pet alone in a car during cold weather. In the winter, a car holds in the cold like a refrigerator and your pet could potentially freeze to death.
- Dogs and cats can get frostbite! Any dog or cat who is exposed to very cold temperatures for more than brief periods of time can develop frostbite. If pets begin to shiver or their ears, tail, and feet show signs of frostbite such as redness in the early stages and pale, white or patches in more advanced cases of frostbite, bring them inside immediately.
- Antifreeze is highly toxic to people and animals. Cats and dogs are attracted to its sweet smell and taste, and will often sample some if left out in a container or spilled on the garage floor. If you suspect that your pet has come into contact with antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately. The success of treatment to antifreeze exposure depends on quick action.
- Much like humans, damp and cold weather can aggravate symptoms associated with arthritis in dogs and cats. If your pet is having trouble getting up or lying down, climbing stairs, or cries out when being picked up, a visit to the veterinarian is in order.
- Never medicate your dog or cat with human prescriptions or over-the-counter medications without consulting your veterinarian. Most of them are toxic for pets; numerous arthritis treatments are available for them. Also, your dog or cat deserves a comfortable bed. Several pet and feed stores carry safe heated floor mats or non-electric warm bedding.
- Pets need to have fresh water at all times. If you leave water outside for your pets, be sure it does not freeze.
- Animals may seek shelter near something warm like a car engine on cold days. If an animal is near the engine when the car is started, serious injury can occur.
- Starting a car to warm it up in a garage will trap carbon monoxide. It can only take a few minutes for a small pet to die in a sealed garage with a car running.
- During winter months, rodents are often attracted to the warmth of homes. Make sure poisons and rodenticides are out of reach of pets.
BluePearl Veterinary Partners employs 2,400 team members including more than 500 veterinarians. BluePearl hospitals offer referral-only, specialty care services and most offer 24-hour emergency care. BluePearl does not provide primary care. The company is one of the world’s principal providers of approved veterinary residency and internship programs. BluePearl also participates in clinical trials that investigate the effectiveness of new veterinary drugs and treatments, providing pet families access to cutting-edge medicine that is not yet commercially available. BluePearl is headquartered in Tampa, FL.