Help needed for cat rescued from Lawrenceville fire

Lucy (BluePearl Veterinary Partners photo)

Lucy (BluePearl Veterinary Partners photo)

ATLANTA – A 6-year-old cat is being treated for smoke inhalation at BluePearl Veterinary Partners hospital in Gwinnett after she was rescued from a burning  home, and a national pet charity is stepping in to raise money for her care.

The cat, named Lucy, is gradually improving after receiving emergency oxygen for the past 24 hours, said Dr. Kenneth Brand, an emergency clinician with BluePearl. She’s also being treated for ulcers on her eyes caused by the heat of the fire, he said.

Lucy had a body temperature of just 91 degrees when she arrived at BluePearl – the result of shock and being sprayed by water used to fight the fire, Brand said. A cat’s normal temperature is between 99.5 and 102.5 degrees.

“The family did the right thing by seeking immediate veterinary care for Lucy,” Brand said. “In smoke inhalation cases, every second counts. The faster we can begin treatment, the better chance we have for a good outcome.”

The family lost everything in the blaze in the 2200 block of Deans Landing Drive. According to news reports, the fire began in the engine compartment of an SUV in the home’s driveway. The flames quickly spread to the house, leaving four people homeless and another cat dead, the report said.

To help the family, national pet charity Frankie’s Friends is launching a fundraising campaign to pay for the cost of Lucy’s care. They hope to raise at least

BluePearl Veterinary Partners photo

BluePearl Veterinary Partners photo

$5,000. Any extra funds will go toward helping other Atlanta-area pets in need. Those interested in contributing are encouraged to click here.

“Our hearts go out to Lucy’s family,” said Danielle Martin, executive director of Frankie’s Friends, which provides financial assistance to families with pets in need of lifesaving care. “We’re happy to do everything we can to ensure they have one less thing to worry about at this difficult time.”