PHOTOS: Beagle rescued from apartment fire in Queens


NEW YORK – A 1-year-old beagle mix is in intensive care at the BluePearl Veterinary Partners hospital in Queens Wednesday after being rescued from an apartment fire.

The beagle, named Duke, is receiving emergency oxygen to counteract the carbon monoxide he inhaled during the Tuesday morning fire, said Dr. David Wohlstadter, an emergency veterinarian with BluePearl.

Duke’s white fur is stained with soot but he has no visible burns and appears to be responding well to treatment, Wohlstadter added. Duke is expected to remain on oxygen for at least another day.

Frankie’s Friends charitable pet foundation has set up a web page to assist Duke’s owner with the cost of care, which is estimated to be about $6,000. Those interested in contributing should click here.

Dr. David Wohlstadter monitors Duke's vital signs while he receives emergency oxygen treatment. BluePearl image

Dr. David Wohlstadter monitors Duke’s vital signs while he receives emergency oxygen treatment. BluePearl image.

Duke was at home alone when the fire started Tuesday morning, according to investigators. He was rescued by firefighters, who were initially unable to locate his owner. The firefighters delivered Duke to animal abuse investigators with the New York Police Department.

“When we saw the dog, he was covered with soot and he was shaking,” said Det. Tara Cuccias. “It was clear that he was in distress.”

Cuccias and her partner, Marique Monzert, rushed Duke to BluePearl for treatment. Wohlstadter credits them with saving Duke, who will turn 2 on March 23.

“Thanks to the quick action of the NYPD detectives, Duke has a much better chance of having a happy birthday,” said Wohlstadter. “He’s a lucky dog.”