ATLANTA — Arianna Chang was spooning some dog food out of a can, but her 5-month-old Siberian husky named Zeus just couldn’t wait.
Zeus lunged for the dog food and swallowed it – spoon and all.
“I was shocked, I was definitely shocked,” said Chang. It was now past 7 p.m., but she discovered that her nearby BluePearl Veterinary Partners hospital is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with veterinarians always on hand for emergencies just such as this. So she put Zeus in the car and headed to the hospital in Sandy Springs.
Dr. Nicolas Berryessa, a BluePearl veterinarian who is board-certified in internal medicine, examined Zeus at the hospital. He ordered X-rays which left no doubt that Zeus really did have a spoon in his stomach – with the handle sticking partly into the esophagus.
Berryessa knew that without removing the spoon, Zeus would have suffered from repeated vomiting and other digestive problems.
So Zeus was put under anesthesia. Berryessa then used an endoscope, which allowed him to view the spoon through a tiny camera. He pulled the spoon out of Zeus’ stomach and through the throat using the same endoscope, with a snare attachment.
Zeus was released back into Chang’s hands after the procedure on Oct. 25. Although he was a bit woozy from anesthesia, Zeus was still the same friendly and playful pup, with an expression that seemed to say “Oh, nothing’s wrong,” Chang said. She said she was pleased her dog was treated quickly and is now recovering well.
Berryessa said it’s a good reminder of the mishaps dogs get themselves into. BluePearl clinicians frequently treat pets who eat a variety of things they shouldn’t, including corncobs, toys, pacifiers, socks and more.
“They’re quick and they’ll eat all kinds of things, especially when they’re puppies,” Berryessa said. He said Chang did exactly the right thing by taking Zeus immediately to the hospital.