Made the Toughest Time as Easy as Possible

On New Year’s Eve 2015, during what should have been a time of celebration, we found our beloved cat, Sonic, on the back porch not moving to get away from the dog we had inherited less than a year earlier. I held the dog back and coaxed him into the house. When I did, I noticed that his back left leg was just hanging to the side. We frantically began looking for other signs of injury. At 8:00 p.m. on December 31st, I began searching the web for the nearest emergency vet hospital. I called BluePearl and it was a welcome relief to hear the warm, friendly voice of the woman on the other end. She gave me directions, and I told her we would be there soon. Upon our arrival she knew who we were, and worked quickly to get Sonic the help he needed. The woman that helped us next was amazing. Our little angel sent from heaven in our time of need. She was very gentle, kind and loved him as we did. The vet came in and said that Sonic appeared to have either a dislocated leg or it was broken, but that he also had some very bad swelling in the abdomen, which was his greatest concern. He took the time to explain what they would do next and that we would go from there.

Sonic is a cat that was from a litter of stray cats my mother had taken in and raised from babies. My son (8 at the time) fell in love with Sonic (named after the hedgehog) and begged us to take him home. I was a much easier sell than his father, but he finally caved in. Lucas, now 19, was with us that night while we waited for the results of the X-rays.

The X-rays had confirmed our greatest fear, that there was a tear in the muscle that was allowing his bowel to move into his abdomen and cause all the swelling. Emergency surgery was needed. If only that was all, but his femur was broken in two with a small sliver broken off that would need another surgery at some point to repair the bone.

My 19-year-old son was holding me and comforting me while I cried, knowing that he may never make it through this surgery and that his quality of life would not be the same. “I don’t want him to suffer. I don’t want him to not be able to go outside and prowl like he loves, and I don’t want him to go through the pain and suffering of the surgery to not make it in the end,” were just a few of the things he said that night.

After a long heart-wrenching talk and the hardest decision of our lives, we decided it was best to let him rest peacefully forever. We said our final goodbyes, and Lucas and his father left the room. I stayed with Sonic. I couldn’t let him be alone. The doctor told me what he would do, what to expect and when it was all over that he was gone. The “I am so sorry for your loss” comments from everyone there were truly amazing and helped to get us through a rough night.

That is not where the story ends. Eleven days later, we received a card in the mail from BluePearl. It was a real heartfelt gesture of kindness and sympathy. When I opened up the card, I cried grateful tears because inside the card was a precious gift nuzzled inside the kindest words I have ever read: Sonic’s paw print! We can never say thank you enough. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making the toughest time as easy as possible. You are the best!

Cheryl Moore