Pet biobank clinical study (dogs and cats).
Mars Veterinary Health businesses (BluePearl, Banfield, and VCA) have partnered on a project that aims to be the largest, most comprehensive real-world study of its kind: we’re planning to enroll up to 20,000 pets (10,000 dogs and 10,000 cats). By studying such a large number of pets, we aim to find ways to prevent or predict rare conditions. By studying a pet’s health throughout its life, scientists will seek to identify potential signs of disease as well as new ways to help prevent or even predict illness. This way, we can all help future generations of pets develop and age better. The duration of the study will be 10 years (concluding 2032).
The Mars Petcare Biobank team is now enrolling healthy cats and dogs from current clients of some of our US-based VCA™ Animal Hospital and BANFIELD™ Pet Hospital locations, as well as BLUEPEARL™ Specialty + Emergency Pet Hospital blood donor clients.
- Dogs must be between 6 months old and 10 years old
- Cats must be between 6 months old and 12 years old
- The pet must have a body weight greater than 2.5 kg and BCS of 3-7 of 9
- The pet must be in apparent good health without any clinically obvious or strongly suspected uncontrolled acute or chronic medical conditions
- Previous diagnosis or treatment of other causes or concurrent disease (i.e., hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, hepatopathy, chronic pancreatitis, diabetes, Cushing’s/hyperadrenocorticism, Addison’s/hypoadrenocorticism, metabolic disorder, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI), infectious disease, autoimmune disease, cardiac disease and malignant neoplasia)
- Any pet currently receiving prescription medication, with the exception of regular prophylactic flea, tick,and deworming (including heartworm) treatments
A presumptive diagnosis of a medical condition that would present an exclusion based on clinical exam or history. This includes heart murmurs unless known to not result in hemodynamic consequences
- Pets who are pregnant/have recently given birth (within the previous 12 weeks) will not be eligible to enroll
Locations and contacts:
- Tampa, FL, Clearwater, FL, Brandon, FL: for more information or to register your pet, visit the Mars Petcare Biobank page.
At enrollment, costs will be covered for a physical exam, lab work (chemistry and cell blood count), and a Wisdom Panel DNA test. Six months after enrollment, a Whistle Activity Monitor will be sent to the owner. Thereafter, the costs of a yearly physical examination and lab work (chemistry and cell blood count) will be provided free of charge.