Susan NelmsMS, DVM, DACVO
On The Job
Dr. Susan Nelms has been practicing ophthalmology in the Birmingham area for over 28 years. Her goal is to provide the best ophthalmic care for every single patient.
Dr. Nelms has special interests in cataract surgery, corneal diseases and surgeries and diagnosing and treating systemic diseases that present with ocular signs.
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
- Residency, Ophthalmology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh
- Internship, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, Animal Medical Center, New York City, NY
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Starkville
- Master of Science, Zoology, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ
- Bachelor of Science, Animal Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
In her free time, Dr. Nelms enjoys spending time with her family and friends on Smith Lake, endurance running and horseback trail riding. She and her husband have two daughters, a son whose memory they carry in their hearts, one granddaughter, seven dogs and three horses.
On The Job
Dr. Brayden Routh is an intern in our ophthalmology service. She is drawn to the intricacies of the eye and prefers to help treat pets with retinal disorders and intraocular procedures.
- Internship, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, BluePearl Specialty + Emergency Pet Hospital, Sandy Springs, GA
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
- Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
Dr. Routh has an adopted Foxhound/Coonhound dog named Tallahassee. In her free time, she likes to take Tallahassee hiking, camping and kayaking.