Susan NelmsMS, DVM, DACVO
Board Certified in Veterinary Ophthalmology
On The Job
Dr. Susan Nelms has been practicing ophthalmology in the Birmingham area for over 28 years. Her goal is to provide the best ophthalmic care for every single patient.
Dr. Nelms has special interests in cataract surgery, corneal diseases and surgeries and diagnosing and treating systemic diseases that present with ocular signs.
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
- Residency, Ophthalmology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh
- Internship, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, Animal Medical Center, New York City, NY
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Starkville
- Master of Science, Zoology, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ
- Bachelor of Science, Animal Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
In her free time, Dr. Nelms enjoys spending time with her family and friends on Smith Lake, endurance running and horseback trail riding. She and her husband have two daughters, a son whose memory they carry in their hearts, one granddaughter, seven dogs and three horses.